The 2021 Membership Campaign Is Crucial to Pandemic Rebound
The Council staff has been meeting with other Councils and attending National BSA webinars in preparation for what may be the most important membership campaign in the history of Scouting. With membership down 40% compared to 2019 due to the pandemic, the Council will be laying out a plan and it is absolutely crucial that local units cooperate and follow the Council’s lead as a significant investment will be made in marketing Scouting this September. The Council has hired a video producer to film local Scouting families as they discuss the benefits and pleasure of the Scouting program. These videos will be released weekly on social media and we will ask our members to share them.
We ask unit leadership to begin securing sign up night dates this month and entering the data into our website as soon as possible. This gives the Council the opportunity to purchase geofencing advertising on Facebook and prepare peer-to-peer invitation cards that Scouts can hand out when they return to school. This all takes advance planning and coordination. Thousands of school flyers have been ordered from BSA vendors as well as yard signs. The Council website will be populated with information every week through the month with tips, guidebooks, and other pertinent information. We appreciate our local leaders and look forward to supporting the campaign.
Tips to Build Your Unit’s Membership
- Get to know the teachers and administrators in your school district
- Use peer-to-peer invitations during the back-to-school season
- Wear your uniform in public
- Carry applications with you to youth gatherings
- Display yard signs around your neighborhood
- Ensure that your information on www.BeAScout.org is up to date
- Post sign-up night flyers around town and at recreation centers
- Do not overwhelm new parents with immediate leadership responsibilities
- Have a unit welcoming committee ready to answer questions
- Be open to new people and new ideas
- Create and use your social media!